Looking for Something? Search here:

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Doll Cakes and Butterfly Fairy Cakes

A cake marathon
 
My daughter just celebrated her 3rd Birthday and she’s so thrilled to have doll cakes on her special day.  Since I love making doll cakes,  I intend to make her 3 on her third birthday.  I searched high and low for new designs to make.  I have seen how to make a butterfly cake from  HOWDINI. (video here) and gave it a go. 

Add caption
The first inspiration was Leila’s birthday dress, which I tried to imitate the design but couldn’t really get the right color.  Somehow, its similar to that dress.

Second inspiration was butterfly cakes, like that of Barbie Mariposa as it’s her chosen theme.  So butterfly fairies tickled me.  They turned out good and its something new for me to do as well.  The pleasure of making them was such an adventure.

In total, her birthday cakes were 2 doll cakes, 2 butterfly fairy cakes, 60 cupcakes. 1 Doll cake and 30 cupcakes for school. For home party there were 2 butterfly fairy cakes, 1 doll cake and 30 cupcakes. 

1 dollcake for the school and 30 cupcakes




All were made in two days despite the normal day-to-day activities. I can tell that I have improved my speed!  Sigh!

It was fun to do especially the cupcakes with different flowery designs.  The most detailed one is the embroidery on the doll cake for school.
Cupcakes for take-away.  Guest choose any of the designs
and packed in a plastic box at the lower left photo


The chocolate cake is just perfect for a doll cake as it is stable and firm. I’d like to thank my friends, Gwen & JC and Fritzielou for their generosity in sharing my new favorite chocolate cake.  I just love the moisture at the center and soft texture.

Here is the original recipe, but I prefer to reduce the sugar because I like it slightly bitter than sweet. Instead of 4 cups, I put 3 and it was fine for me.

Cookie Monster

3 1/2 c. flour
4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. cocoa
3 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 c. milk
1 c. oil
4 tsp. vanilla
2 c. boiled water

1. Pre-heat oven 350 F
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
3. add remaining ingredients except boiling water, beat at med speed for 2 min.
4. remove from mixer and stir in boiling water
5. pour in baking pan
6. bake at 350 F for 30-35 min.  For cupcakes, 15 minutes per tray, at the middle shelf.
Birthday Girl Doll Cake - A cake the resembles the celebrant's birthday dress.
I used the same recipe for the cupcakes as well. I personally love its texture. I love it with coffee.

For Buttercream, It is based on the recipe of SERIOUSCAKES but I don't like the taste of the shortening that I could find it here in KL. It has a weird odor and aftertaste, so i used buttercup luxury spread and butter.  It turned out good and the crusting as well works great in this proportion. I'm more concerned on the taste and texture.  I use usually use salted butter to cut the sweetness.

Buttercream: 
1 Cup Buttercup Luxury spread
1/2 Cup Salted Butter
4 cups icing sugar
4 Tablespoons corn syrup 


Beat the buttercup luxury spread, add butter and beat 1 minute more, slowly add the icing sugar whilst continue beating. Add the corn syrup. Note that Butter and Luxury spread should be at room temperature before starting. Should be soft but not melted.




Butterfly Fairy Cake
Butterfly Fairy Cake


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I'm sure your little girl loved it--just like her mommy loves her! It shows!

Grace Ediza Virlouvet said...

thanks... she sure did, as well as her friends.. :) thanks for dropping by

Popular Posts